The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Thursday, July 31, 2003

Heaven, I'm in Heaven

And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak!
And I seem to find the happiness I seek.
When we're out together dancing, cheek to cheek.


Beginning with the quizzes:

Heaven
You come from Heaven. You're the purest of pure, a
saint. You're probably an angel sent directly
from Heaven.


Where Did Your Soul Originate?
brought to you by Quizilla

(Ah, if only! Run the good race, eh?)

You represent... hope.
You represent... hope.
You're quite a daydreamer and can be a hopeless
romantic. You enjoy being creative and don't
mind being alone at times. You have goals, and
know what you want in life... even if they are
a little far fetched.


What feeling do you represent?
brought to you by Quizilla

Awwww - isn't that sweet! Kewl - I'll claim it! :D

Anywho, right, so saw Footloose tonight, which set me to thinking - I'm simply going to make a bid for HDW next year. Perhaps Carousal (sp?). You know, I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob. Actually, I was singing "When You Walk Through a Storm" to myself in church last week and getting all teary. I have some issues with the play, just a few, and easily worked around to deepen here, expand there, make sense of a few parts - and I suppose we'll just go with the asinine idea of Heaven they promulgate.

As for the show - I was tres tres proud of my Bearskinites. They had eye contact, focus, energy, character - and danced so very well! But the play itself - the script esp. - was simply weak. It lacked focus, plot, direction. The songs - with the exception of the three big ones (oh my goodness - throw me back to first grade will you? Weeeird flashbacks, there) - were mostly horrible. Poor rhyme schemes, no point to why they're singing - and no attempt to give the song a reason. So many of them were simply "let's sing a song - after all it's a musical!" A few exceptions: the Eyes are Watching one was haunting, although could have been choreographed better - you know, more circles, more leaning over Ren, more creepy blocking, more use of chorus in general - and the Mama Told Me So, which was probably the highlight of the whole play. Basically, as Julie pointed out, for a play that's supposed to be all about dance...there wasn't a whole heck of a lot of it. Let's put it this way, in the Country Bar scene, I was watching the chorus. But even so - a lot of it I chalk up to a basically bad script. Sorry all my 80's fans - but the 80's didn't produce much artistically, as far as I can see. Goonies, maybe - the Lucas/Spielberg stuff is good - but elsewise? Ah ca!

Oh, give me Kenneth Branaugh's Love's Labour's Lost! Even though that, too, had issues with - not the dancing, but the filming of the dancing - it had energy, spark, fun.... And of course, one of the BEST parts >drumroll please<

DANCE WITH ME!
I want to feel my ARMS around you!
The charms around you
Will carry me through to -

Heaven! I'm in Heaven! &c.


*sigh*

So, tomorrow, I'm waking up early, scanning photos, and then going to the wedding rehearsal for Sh. God bless her! And may this rehearsal go well. A tad nervous - I know no one but the bride and groom and they've troubles enough of their own without worrying whether I can hold a polite conversation. So polite conversation I will hold, and wear my dress new starched and cross my ankles and all that Grammy taught me *nnngh*. No, I really don't mind it - I just get nervous and awkward in new situations. Stupid, really. But there it is. TTFN - scanning calls!

Mood: Still the prettiest
Music: And the cares that hang around me through the week/Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak/When we're out together dancing, cheek to cheek
What made my day: Still being the prettiest
What ruined my day: Having to wait an hour and a half before discovering I was still the prettiest
What I deserved to be hit over the head for: Being the...urp...savvy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home