The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Thursday, July 31, 2003

Squee!

Yaaay! Hip hip hoorah! Huzzah! Da na nana NA nana NAAAA, for a duck might be somebody's moooo-ther! >insert virtual parade replete with confetti and elephants here<

I has written - I has written Anglich real gud. (Tra LA, I lo-ove the Spring!) Yes, mesdames et monsieurs, by putting on my "fanfiction" hat, I have managed to slither by my internal editor and worried new author, and WRITE! (When I go out to dance my Johann meeeeeets me! Frolic through the Alps! Wo bist mein Sven? Zwolf!) The scene - first romantic one - between Elowen and Pwll. (High on the hill, lived a lonely goatherd!)

Now, granted, it's not one of the novels that needs to be worked on, but it is in the same vein, and gets the percolator percolating. Beyond which - and in some ways more satisfactory - one of the reason why I write is because I want to read such and so story and no one else is telling it! (Bad bad naughty Zoots!) And, frankly, I like Elowen and Pwll together - they're both so utterly serious and STUPID and putting them in a room is like watching Jane Austen in the WWF as played by paranoid schitzophrenic cats that ran off Tenessee William's hot tin roof. And if THAT isn't a bad analogy I don't know what is!

But I'm out of good analogies - I've used them up in this writing bit. I am allowed utterly absurd ones. In fact, one of the things I like about E&P is their absurdity (to the reader anyway) - I mean, face it, to the observer, anyone else's life is absurd. To those reading my sobbing below, it's amazingly ridiculous. Life is comedy. Not to denigrate tragedy - no, the two are needed to get the full flavour of life - but there's something wonderfully Heavenly about laughter. I am sure if we were to hear God's laughter, that should floor us more than the parting of the Red Sea or any pillar of fire. As Chesterton pointed out, there was one thing that God kept hidden from us, and which he (Ch.) is sure Christ went on the mountaintops to share with God, with His Father, Himself - and that is His mirth.

What a marvellous word! What beautiful vocabulary! And once again I could go off in raptures (no pun) about the Word. (Love John, love John! Sing, my Evangelist of Music!) *sigh* *snerk* *...squeeeeeeeee...*

In other news, last night Jules came home so I was showing her my attempts at a video (really a slideshow) resume, which at this point includes pics for Salome, Wizard of Oz and Bearskin. I put music over the slideshow, and it's amazing how much the combination of sound and sight - the RIGHT sound with the RIGHT sight - can utterly move one. I don't like Wizard of Oz - and am *sick* of Judy Garland's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - but put to the slideshow...? Oh, my goodness! It was so *sweet*! I wanted to rush out with Dorothy and Toto and.... You get the...um...picture. (Oh, I'm just a barrel of laughs today! ;) I'm using Aranjuez for Bearskin - works really well, and Gladiator for Salome.

Anyway, so after watching that and getting all squishy, I decided to have some fun and put different music to the slideshows. I put "Heather on the Hill" to Salome, which had some really funny parts, esp. when it looked like John the Baptist was singing to Fiona's part! Oy! :D Tried "It's the End of the World as We Know It" for Wizard of Oz - eh, OK. But the most frightening one of all...

...I put the "Elephant Love Medly" from Moulin Rouge to Bearskin.... All I can say is (with a shudder)...

I am Baz Luhrman.

Pity me, mortal man! OK, get this straight - I enjoy Baz's stuff. I really do. I really do. But part of my enjoyment - esp. for his R&J, MR & LaB - is that he *almost* gets it right, and then either goes insane in the editing or simply insane, and almost always manages to mess up the ending. I love him, but he's one of my fav. "problem directors." So to watch this piece of music, expecting a good laugh...and to see that every part fits. >shudder< Wuh.

However, that's not to say that Jules and I weren't laughing ourselves sick whilst watching this. Nor to say that it prob. won't go on the DVD (extra if need be), presuming I can figure out HOW to do so. Makes me laugh anyway!

Right, so off to really (really really!) mail off my laptop (really!), and then to the Abbey with a copy of Niamh for their bookstore, and then to buy roses for the Footloose folk, and then to Footloose proper, most likely with notebook in hand should inspiration or criticisms strike. Wheeeeee!

Mood: Voila! Je suis tres giddy! (Where's an orange M&M...?)
Music: Faire Celts, I told you so! Oh, and Secret Garden from upstairs (the new age group, not the musical)
Quote du jour: Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home