The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Sunday, July 24, 2005

God's sense of humour

Is not necessarily funny.

Consider: this summer I thought I'd take the summer off from theatre. But this meant I had nothing to do...at...aaaaaaaaaaall....*pppppthphthttttttph* So I signed up to help out with VBS. Only to be given Bible stories - cool, no theatre - but I was assigned actors - OK, theatre. But not really theatre, wink wink nudge nudge say no more. But one of my actresses was daunted by the prospect of a monologue, and then no other actress would sign on and - so I'm sitting here, procrastinating learning lines. Yup, there was a definite close-door policy going on re: directing Arts Alliance or acting with the Savoyards...but somehow I'm directing and acting for IC's VBS. *glances grimacing Heavenward* Very.funny.God.

No, I'm not really upset. More facepalming. Right - so onto the real reason I'm blogging (besides pocrastinating and trying not to weep over the utter mess I made of the Marley/Past scene which means I'll just scrap the whole thing and start over) - is because I want to start a meme. Sorta. If anyone else wants to catch on. But since memes aren't catchable without flashy titles, I will:

THEMESONG MEME!!!
I'd make it flash, but that'd be annoying.


1. What are the lyrics you are listening to right now?

"Such Great Heights" by Iron and Wine from Garden State

They will see us waving from such great heights
Come down now, they'll say
But everything looks perfect from far away
Come down now, but we'll stay

2. List the (partial) lyrics from three songs that you'd consider your theme songs.

a. "Santa Fe" from Newsies

Where does it say you've got to live and die here?
Where does it say a guy can't catch a break?
Why should you only take what you're given?
Why should you spend your whole life livin'
Trapped where there ain't no future
Even at seventeen
Breaking your back for someone else's sake?
If the life don't seem to suit ya
How 'bout a change of scene?
Far from the lousy headlines
And the deadlines inbetween!

b. "Spring Street" by Dar Williams from The Green World

I'm sorry that I left you
With your questions all alone
But I was too happy driving
And too angry to drive home.

c. "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To strive when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star!

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be ready to march into Hell
For a Heavenly cause!

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable stars!

3. What, if anything, do these songs have in common?

Hope. "Stupid courage." A desire for more.

4. What are the lyrics you're listening to right now?

"Beauty in the Breakdown" by Froufrou

It gains the more it gives
Then it rises with the fall
So hand me that remote
Can't you see that all that stuff's essential...

So let go, so let go
And jump in
Oh well whatcha waiting for
It's all right
Cause there's beauty in the breakdown....

5. Does the music you're listening to now match your theme music or not? Why or why not?

Surprisingly, yes. (As in the music just turned to "Holding out for a Hero," even!) Probably because I'm in a this meme-y mood. That and I've been alternating between the Hamlet and Flannel Collage CD's.

~*~


So, there you go! Meme me!

Mood: I've got to...accentuate the positive...memorize the monologue....
Music: Hallooooo?! OK, it's my Flannel Collage CD.
Dreams are: Bizarre. Right, it's not even my tech week, but I have this dream that it's the last performance of [fill in the blank] show and I have to play two roles even though I'm the director and I've got the wrong costume or no costume at all and regardless it's inside-out. More to the point, I come off the stage from one of my song-and-dance numbers (which, thankfully the guy I was working with could lead) only to find the actress I'm filling in for is just hanging out in the wings. But the next scene starts, and all of a sudden I'm not hearing lines but vitriol from one of my actresses who's apparently lost it on stage - and one of my other actors is giving right back to her. So I rush across the stage, make some sort of joke - fully aware that it's already pathetic that the director is playing two parts in her own show and now has to pretend that her actress swearing up a storm is actually all part of the show folks! - and I drag her, another actress and two actors off into the SL wings. Then one at a time I smack them across the face, stop their return volley, give them a talking to, and get them back on stage. Meanwhile, the conductor has apparently decided to cover for the fact that the play's been ruined by leading cast and audience in Christmas carols. I get to the last guy - who I'm not really sure why I pulled off, and I'm trying to decide whether to continue with the slap-speech method of rectification when I hear the conductor start everyone up on the song "Oklahoma!" and I realize the conductor has just decided to end the show before ending Act I! So I turn to my waiting actor and tell him to get out there (since he's the lead) - but then I realize he's only in black pants and a poofy shirt and for some reason there are slits on the shirt at the shoulders and elbows (so he can move?) and he looks like an idiot. So I'm about to tell him, "Don't worry about it - go find something to wear" when he grins and runs off to the stage, calling back, "Don't worry! I'll just take it off!" Fortunately at that point I woke up. Man, whoever I'm having tech-week anxiety dreams for had better thank me for picking up their slack. Oy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauryl Lane said...

Hey Em! Can't believe I stumbled across this-- not even sure how I found it, except that I was looking around online yesterday to see if you were anywhere to be found, and, voila! Good to catch up with you a bit. Miss you!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home