The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

As it is written, so it is cast

(Tangent, before one even has a chance to spot the thesis!: Curious how we come up with these titles, iddn't it?)

So, casting finished tonight. And a good night it is when you get through everything you meant to get through and end up a night ahead of where you thought you'd be! Hoopla! Oh, but I am so thinking that I may need to do Fridays, after all. Five nights a week.... We'll see.

This is a curious occurrence. A new one - or one that I haven't experienced in quite a while. I find myself, surprisingly, unsure of my ability - not to block, not to direct a whole show, nor even a musical - but unsure of my ability to really mould an actor. I haven't run up against an actor set in his ways in quite a while...at least, not in a show that demanded he or she change significantly. I think what I really fear is not my own ability, but rather I shudder to think that I have become the director whom I loathe the most: the lazy director. Have I, in all my proud ways, actually not taken chances on actors, but rather cast those who "fit" best? Have I reneged on my own secret promises to mould actors rather than rely on convenience? Yet, there is a certain amount of stupidity even in that thought: one chooses an actor to play a role because there is a glimmer of the character there - a glimmer which can be sparked into a flame. This is not a glimmer: it is a telegraph from Western Union, and just as cold and cheerlessly precise. I hope, I pray, that they will let me really mould them in the short time I have. They have the ability, they have the talent, they have the inclination - now they need the subtlety. And that is my fear: can I, who have through necessity and through, yes, convenience, and further, theoretical pride, eschewed subtlety myself recover subtlely in this unlikeliest of venues? This is a new challenge. But, I must remind myself, surely not one insurmountable.

Mood: A curious blend: anxious, determined, concerned, terrified, courageous....
Music: The Mellow Me mix
Truth: Were things other than they are, there should have been some very different casting indeed. I am determined that each member shall create character. As God is my witness...!
Truth Redux: Duck duck goose and Toothless vegetable are two of the best games ever invented

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home