The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Freely Given, Freely Received

A report on FanzillaCon is due - perhaps tomorrow, perhaps only for Mom and Dad's ears - but suffice it to say that it's sent me back to my DV editing stuff. Currently working on finishing Much Ado just because it requires so little. Otherwise, I think it'll work better to have the "Lie farther off, Lysander" scene as the demo for Dream on the next version of the resume, along with "Poor Wandering One" for Pirates. And I still need to redo E Horo. Nnngh. Otherwise the plan is to save up for the next nine months to be able to afford Adobe After Effects. Yeah...slobber...soooooooooooftware...bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuescreen!

OK, only 20% done on making the movie file...I'll type some more.

One of the main reasons that I like the spirit of FanzillaCon is that it's dedicated to making cinamatography an art like any other art: which is to say, an art not strangleheld by corporations. We don't stop folks from composing, or writing, or drawing, or putting on a play - although each has its particular obstacles when attempting to reach a wider market, or technical difficulties inherent - yet there is a sort of latent hostility against making a film, unless it's done by a Hollywood studio.

The "indy movement" is helping quite a bit in regards to public awareness of Life Outside Hollywood. DV cameras and related software have revolutionized home editing to an extent where the product from someone's basement can sometimes rival the product from a major production house. And the web and direct to DVD are making headway in distribution. Yet, essentially, it's important to realize that cinamatography is an art which ought to be available to those who desire to perfect their own abilities as filmmakers. This is not about competition or money, this is not about box office - this is about art for the sake of beauty and the love of the craft.

Have I mentioned recently how much I really loathe money on general principles?

On a more personal note, I realized that it's been over two years since I made a film FOR film (rather than filming one of my plays and then "translating" it into cinemaspeak). I rather miss making films. It's awful fun! (And no, alas, the Bearskin pick-up shots, numerous though they may be, do not constitute making a film for film's sake. They simply denote insanity on the part of this director.) Perhaps somewhere inbetween I'll make up all those TGTNNR movies the way they're meant to be. That'd be nice. (Ooooh, if I only had soooooooooooftware to do all the fun stuff I want to do!)

56% complete. Maybe I'll run upstairs for grapes. Yeah. And in the meantime, I leave you with this great film: Pink Five. Yeah, so, this is Stacy? So great! Get 'em, rogue filmmakers! GET 'EM!!!

Mood: Sly
Music: Little Mermaid and the extra memory making funky noises as I make a film file. Hmmm, I meant to make it on my computer.
Curiosity du jour: I said two complete rosaries today. And one yesterday. And so I'm all ready for the Glorious mysteries tomorrow. Wow....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home