The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

To the pain!

  • I am in pain. It's wet and humid and awful outside, I filmed last night without a tripod so my arms are aching, and for some bizarre reason (odd sleeping position?) my hip and lower back are also aching. Ugh.

  • Picked up Jules from the airport - yay! She is returned from Canada! On the way over, I happened - quite by accident - to listen to the silly tape the two of us made long ago last year of our various songs (or attempts thereof). Quite fun. The way back was full of Austria et autre amusements, which always cheers the soul. I mean, who can't feel gleefully happy when singing along to: "Rabbits are furry...that makes me happy!"

  • Merry's CD on right now, and it's the Star Wars love theme - tra la I love the spring! Siiiiiiiiiiigh.

  • Troy wasn't too bad - too many "hero" shots, but otherwise I enjoyed it anyway. Not enough Sean Bean, but one can't have everything. Eric Bana is amazing. And although it was unfortunate they left the gods out, the way they solved the Paris not fighting his own battle thing actually worked better dramatically - great camera angle and composition.

  • Readying for graduation. Poot. The seniors are gone and yet I haven't all those free periods! Ah well - at least the Juniors pick up on music fairly well, which is good. And the Panis Angelicus is sounding VERY well. Excited about that.

  • Starting to beat the drum for Kiss Me, Kate. In a lot of ways, editing for Brigadoon is very helpful to garner ideas for a "classic" musical. Of course, it's not helping insofaras I'm thinking about Thrushbeard again...(two more musical pieces today...).

  • Speaking of Brigadoon and the editing of it: I'm nearly half-way done (aaaaaaaaaaalleluia!), yet STUCK on "Almost Like Being in Love." You'd think that wouldn't be too much of an issue, except that I'm stuck on whether to do a close up of the feet kicking and leave the rest, or attempt an overlap (after several tries, that's been nixed), or just give up the ghost and say, "Fine, we'll go with a straight edit and whatever we get, we get" but perfectionist me is saying, "No! I know there's a way to make the ending look more like what I had in mind!" Silly editing.

  • I love music about water or that sounds like water. I like water. There's something...not simply blue about water, but rippling, changing, shifting yet stable, fathomless yet finite, skybound and earthbound, gentle and temptestuous. Yes, I love the sea.

  • My desk (Johnny's really, but he hasn't claimed it yet, or rather still) has been recleared by means of sweeping stuff into drawers. Later the drawers will have to be cleaned, but the desk is once more usable. This is good. However, this affords easier access to the cable for the net. That is bad.

  • I've grown increasingly snarlsome at e-mails. I am so weird. Oh, the weirdness of me. %P And yet, methinks, some days not odd enough.

  • Another great sea song is on (the previous one was "We Learned the Sea" by Dar Williams and the current one is "Heart of the Ocean" by Gaelic Storm). Siiiiiiigh - one could sink into musical wavelets! Hurrah for arpeggios (sp?) and archipelagios (spsp?) and spellchecker (spppfth?)!

  • I'm a bit confuzzled at life. I need to get my prayer life together again before I can get the rest of me in line. We fall down...we get up....

  • Much Ado About Nothing is so wonderful - infinitely quotable like so much of Shakespeare - some day I must put it on. Eighth grade did a fantastic production. Sent me home to rewatch (or listen? I was grading at the same time) Kenneth Branaugh's production: "Then down falls she, weeps, beats her breast and cries aloud: 'Sweet Benedick! God grant me patience!'" LOL! "Silence is the perfectest herald of joy. I were not half so happy if I could say how much." And Jules's favorite: "Thus goes everyone into the world but I...and I? Am sunburnt." And I freely admit that Emma Thompson's "were I a man" weeping feast after the debacle of a wedding was uppermost in my mind when I wrote most of Elowen's stuff. Hurrah for the English who say: "We actually don't care all that much about how you look so long as you can act well." Hrumph!

  • Mr. Bean is FUNNY.

  • Funeral Dance music on. What a relief to see that that plot worked. How sad that no similar subplot is available in Kiss Me, Kate. Although I'm glad to be doing a comedy after all. But there is something wonderful about a poignant drama. There is beauty in tragedy. There is loveliness and stillness and a moment caught transcendant.

  • And it is late, and I must be up, and tests copied and given out, and staying for choir and choir before lunch and choir after school and e-mail to do now (le hrumph) and perhaps, peut-etre, peut-etre! - I shall write some more? Oh, Lord, to take the internal editor and SIT on her, to squash her underfoot! She's a literary abortifacent, she's a Gattica who refuses to let any but the best genetically enhanced manuscripts pass through! Yet there is a time, is there not, for the weaker prose as well? Silence, thou Editor! Banished art thou, and forever more be banished, until such a time as thou art required. Let her be tied and thrown away, let her be imprisoned, ne'er to see the light of day, until such a time as the prose is grown and may meet her in his own good time, with sword and smile at the ready, a will to stand and the grace to bow.

  • I won't even bother to comment on the recent MA-ing. Let us say that sackcloth and ashes would be in order. Let us say that I am tired and that our greatest recourse now is He who bore this even then, through the intercession of His mother, Our Lady of Sorrows who might be our model of how to bear His sorrows to His perfection and glory. "Jerusalem, Jerusalem!"

    Mood: Pensive
    Music: Wonderful Merry's CD
    Thought: Whence comes all these daily tragedies? They are born of a loss of love and a longing for love and the lack of love - and the worser, secret knowledge that all our bright-colored shoutings cannot fill up what is an essential emptiness. "Our hearts are restless, O Lord, until they rest in You."

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home