The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Caritas!

Hurrah hurrah! I did a corporal work of mercy today! You know the one, "Visit the sick and imprisoned"? Well, I must admit, I'd always thought, "Ha, RIGHT. Sure I'm going to visit the imprisoned." But today I was down at the mall, slipping in and out between a school meeting with my fellow religion teachers and tonight's tech meeting for Pirates and I realized that Jules was probably working. There was a large bit of me that said, "Ugh. I have to get HOME. I have so much to DO!" But then I thought - hurrah hurrah! Danke Gott! - "Visit the sick...and imprisoned." Who does not feel imprisoned at a job where they're merely making money, not growing in who they ought to be? So I jogged back upstairs and poked my head in. Unfortunately, there was a lady who had several things she wanted boxed and another lady right behind her, so I didn't stay long - but I did give Jules this fudge thingy that I had thought I'd keep for myself, but, y'know, she needed it. Part of me thought, "Well, I'll just get something else." Then I realized, "What sort of sacrifice would THAT be?" So - glory, glory, alleluia! - I just walked out and back home.

I know it sounds all so silly and pitiful. It is pitiful that this is the best I can muster in terms of doing good, of proving myself a sheep and not a goat. But you know, it's a start. I think for Lent this year I'm going to give up watching movies (with the sole exception of The Passion). I also really want to begin to act more charitably towards others - my family members foremost. At the risk of starting another sentence with "I", I want to make myself worthy to sit in my Father's Court. Last night, I prayed the Rosary, and I realized just how slovenly I was. I felt like a white trash slattern who had been brought to marry the Prince of the land, who was being introduced to His mother and wearing stained overalls at court. OK, yes, that's perhaps overdramatic in statement, but I'm afraid not particularly hyperbolic in truth.

I need to pick up St. Theresa of Avila's Interior Castle again. Lord, please make me worthy of You! Amen. Golly, I sound so insipid - I am insipid. I am in need of a great amount of grace.

Mood: Wistful, sorrowful, penitent
Music: Evanescence - I'm going to do a brief workout in a second, then Pirate-y stuff
Thought: Shoot, how am I going to have the dances I was thinking of with the platforming I have?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home