The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Thursday, October 16, 2003

The Winds Weave Songs Through the Branches of Trees

(Note: My last version of this post just got eaten! Poot.)

I just came back from my walk, which was glorious. All sorts of crunchy leaves and periwinkle clouds, Westward rosy tipped. I simply had to sing for the grandeur of God. This is the result.

The following song is for The Snow Queen, which will be another Opera Ballet based off Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale of the same name. For the fairy tale click here. The song takes place as Gerda is setting forth to find Kay who has been abducted by the Snow Queen. In Anderson, it's rather nebulous how old Gerda and Kay are, but it always seemed to me that by the time Gerda tracks Kay down in the Snow Queen's palace, they're both about twenty. So for the purposes of staging, my characters will start about eighteen years old. The song is in 3/4 time, in the key of B minor.


GERDA:
Where
Have you gone?
Oh, where
Has she taken you?
Far
From my arms
And the world
That we both once knew.

All that's lovely is lost to me now.
All that's true is now shattered like shards

Of my heart
Which is yours,
Always has been and always will be
In your breast,
Ever warm and alive

Though
She cover you with ice
Though she clothe you in snow

I will hear my heart beating,
To my love, I will go
I will go....

Then I presume the orchestra will modulate, sweep the main theme around while she vocalizes to the accompaniament of a flute on top, and then pick up at the bridge ("All that's lovely...") but hopefully with different lyrics. The bit about "cover you with ice/clothe you in snow" ought to be the Snow Queen's own theme. And it'd be swell if this song became the main theme entirely. I think it may be. It sounds wonderfully swooping and majestic and gliding through a bare-branched bramble forest while the snow sifts to obscure one's sight. *sigh*

Thanks, God.

Mood: Marvellously, swoopingly, majestically, creatively elated
Music: The above, naturallement!
Thought: Waltz-time is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home