The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Monday, October 27, 2003

How do I end thee? Let me find a way!

Despite the fact that I saw Bullets Over Broadway last night, no I don't mean how to rub a person out. Rather I'm *stuck* (again - supplies!) in Awel. Not stuck really, just trying to figure out how to perfectly end the section I'm on right now. Seems that Agnes is someone with the capability of the othersight? Someone who practices some form of "magic" certainly - neato! Puts a strain in James and Agnes' relationship.

I feel the need to reread Volsky. Almost anything of hers will do. Am reading Landmoor instead. I think I've found a S&S book I can actually recommend - hurrah!

So, I put in Evanescene tonight and danced about to the first two and a half songs - playing with trying to get up and down without taking *forever* to do so, and also attempting to do an "attitude" turn. I've no idea if I've got it right. I don't have a large mirror in my room, so I only turn on one of my lights and watch my shadow dance on the wall.

Which is frustrating. Not the dancing shadow - that's pretty neat. But rather that it reminds me of this one awful song I wrote years and years ago in Jersey which had an amazing bridge, though - something about chasing shadows across the wall and confusing that for the real person or something - drat! It was really poetic!

In good news, though, I came home this afternoon and was inspired to write another song. Just the beginnings still and it's more pop rock than anything I'd be able to put in an opera ballet (at least the ones I know I'm writing at the moment). Around 2 p.m. the weather was simply GORGEOUS. Mild, slightly cool without being cold, that perfect sepia autumnal moment. Around 3:45 p.m., when I got home, it was just starting to threaten rain. The wind was picking up, the leaves were being blown about, a few drops were making the ground slick. So, the song. The lyrics go as follows:

Before the Storm

Before the storm
I walked along the beach
In only barefeet

Before the storm
I danced among
The briny waves

Before the storm
I flung my arms out wide
And sang a song to life
Before the storm
Came and washed it all away

Before the storm
I walked among the trees
And watched the leaves that
Autumn kissed

Before the storm
There was nothing that I feared

Before the storm
I felt the wind come whirl
And rustle all my dreams
Before the storm
Came and turned away the years.

Finis for now

So that's all I have at the moment. Rather Jewel/Dido/Dar Williams-esque. Makes me want to learn how to play the guitar, to invest in nothing but tanktops, and frost my hair. The next bit ought to be either a refrain or a bridge. Haven't decided yet. Regardless, it's nice to get music!

[Edited to add:] (Oy, am I abusing this poor journal! I am no news maeven, I. A rambling writer I, a thing of of thoughts and patches, of weary songs and snatches....) Anywho, I don't think that "Before the Storm" is going to be a "Ah-haugh! You are lost to meeee, and I am so saaaad!" (in one's best Julie voice, of course - complete with flinging of form across whatever surface happens to be accessible). Rather I think it's about either a) midlife and impending death or b) the inability to move when caught up in excessive movement - that is that free will requires stillness in which to operate, drawing on Dante's Canto V here and all the great mystics, of course. Maybe it'll be both. And my brother Johnny is an amazing musician. I kiss his guitar. [End of insert.]

So, right, off to wrestle with Awel again. Voro courteously revised her speech, James allowed some narration that wasn't his own, and Braedon is displaying - shoot - that "ai" Greek word which I'm too lazy to look up. Right response to things. Mwahahahahhahahha! Right, right - off.

Mood: Eh? What? Oooh, Musey-poo! Where ARE you?
Music: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - John Williams forever! (Or at least when you're writing about winds. Nothing sounds more airy than JW's aires.
Thought: Praying the Rosary is something I need to do more often. I'm finding that I'm getting more and more terrified of Judgement. Curious how these things come and go. And yet, how can it hurt than to goad me on to being a better person? I need to be more charitable. I want to put it off. I can't. Gah! I do the things I hate! Lord, halp!

Edited to add: (Braedon's putting up a fight! Voro's being a domineering diva! Yippee!) Today's superfluous test, a la Jill, who is also writing poetry a la slam. Go check it out.

You are EARTH
YOU ARE EARTH!


Your inner element is one of great dependability
and security. You like things the way you like
them, and you work hard to achieve what you
perceive as the perfect balance of things in
your life. Your drive to succeed is admirable
and second to none. You are the rock in the
storm that people need, the stability in life
that so many lack. Your drive to be the best
often leads to tremendous success in both life
and business - an idea line of work for you.
You tend to be picky about friends and acquaintances,
as you have the same high standards for others
as you do yourself. But when you have a friend
you will stick by them no matter what - you are
a friend to the end. Love doesn't come easily
to you, and you may find yourself searching
through many to find the one you are looking
for. When you find that one you love you will
lavish all your love and affection on them, and
you tend to be very sensual, even decadent when
it comes to passion.

Your greatest strengths are your ability to make a
decision and stick to it and your ability to
remain strong no matter what happens. Your
weakness is your tendency to get too stubborn
and your refusal to give even an inch with even
those you care about. Balancing your strengths
and weaknesses is crucial for you to achieve
balance in your life.

Which of the 5 Prime Elements are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home