The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Thursday, October 30, 2003

Before I Lay Me Down to Sleep

A few things of note:

1) Nicholas Nickelby will be shown to the Sophomores again next year. It's gone over extremely well with both male and female students alike. Sigh - and it's just such a LOVERLY film. Smike *sniffle* SMIIIKE!

2) I has edited moozak. Or rather, sound effects. Stuff like: yugh2 which is a guy cackling while a girl screams in torturous pain. Or yughclock which is a murder of crows over a menacing whisper, while a horse gallops from left to right speakers and a dissonant tower bell strikes the witching hour. Or demonscome3 which has witch's cackling quietly behind a pack of rabid dogs barking, growling and tearing things to shreds, while a succession of other effects overlay: a thunderclap, a demonic laugh, and two devils biting something. It is currently being tested as underscoring sound effects for MwoaF. The last bit works very well because the demonic laugh is clearly audible (everything else is rather sotto voce) just as the applause in darkness end. One word: yugh. But I think it gets the point across. If it's too cheesy, I'll cut it, but it was interesting to work with editing together sound effects again! It's been forever since I have done so.

3) Drama went very well today. I was exhausted and not looking forward to the club meeting after school therefore, but, lo and behold, as soon as we got into actual scenework and - "No, try this this way. Pick it up from the cough. Let's divide up that line - start walking away here." All the little intricacies of theatre, the dance and beat and rhythm of it - WHUH! Yes! This is what I live for - this is what I breathe. So, is good. Is reminder that this is my vocation. (Is peoples, as the third Muppet Movie would say.) I'm copying up scenes for the others tomorrow - heavy on Shakespeare, but how can you beat the master? That and I don't want to push serious on some of the students yet. I'm developing this theory that in order to keep the sense of play IN a play, younger actors should be trained first in comedy and only once they have mastered that, should they be allowed to touch anything resembling tragedy. We have on melodramatic scene - the one we worked today - but both actresses are older and the one who has all the outburst lines actually surprised me: she did very well. We need to vary the lines of course so it's not three minutes of crying and shouting, but most actresses just sound artistically constipated when attempting to "feel." She actually managed honesty - even more amazing since she had only just seen the script about fifteen minutes before! And all props to Marvel comics - it's a scene from an X-Men comic book and although I had the gravest concerns, it actually holds up as a well-written piece of scenework. Who knew? (Still pulling for Rogue and Wolverine a la Paquin and Jackman - but that's just because those actors are AMAZING together.)

4) Tomorrow I change over my room to resemble Heaven. Am going to enlist the aid of students to do so. Am putting up a blue border around the ceiling that looks like sky with clouds underneath. And then I have the fancy Christmas lights that are icicled and scalloped and those I will also hang. I'll also use them for the play of course, too! Oh, and I realized that I can use the reverse of the border that we put up for Bearskin and paint huge birch trees on it for Dream. Neato! Got three belts today for Dream, as well as a FOG MACHINE! FWAH!

5) About that time to go to sleep - actually far past tha time, but whatever, whatever. Bon soir, mes amis. Je vous aime!

Mood: Tra la lala, LA laaaaah...when I go out to dance my Johann meeeets meeeee!
Music: Combo of MwoaF and Chicago (movie version) newly returned to me thank God (the stage version is creepier)
Thought: Cathy Rigby's version of Peter Pan is phenomenal. And when I hear the orchestral version of "I'm Flying!" I tear up. Wow. Y'know what'd be cool? If I get to Heaven, if God would play that music, take my hand, and then we'd go racing around the sky together. That'd be awesome. Oh, and Blues Travellers uses the Pan/Hook analogy VERY well. Even if they're making fun of it. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home