The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Monday, September 15, 2003

High Heels and Pedestals

I was at mass yesterday which was said by an interim Franciscan (I guess Fr. Larry's on vacation?) who did a fine but not spectacular job with the sermon. Which is to say (sorry God!) my mind wandered in and out of what he was preaching. (Fortunately, EWTN came through for me again, and I was able to tape - and thus show to my kids - an awesome sermon on yesterday's feast, the Triumph of the Holy Cross.) And this is what my mind wandered across:

I wonder if I could get away with wearing heels tomorrow to work?

Fortunately, this question was quickly eclipsed by an interesting insight into "My Year of Heels" vs. "My Teaching in Flats." Let me 'splain.

When I was working in Cubicle World for that first year out of college in 1999-2000, I was very keen to look professional and thus trick somebody into giving this poor lout a job. So I went out and purchased a few pairs of sturdy (note sturdy!!!) heels which I then wore more or less every day to work. Although, granted, towards the end I became more and more sloppy - the whole "we embrace all clothing" diversity thing was chic at the time, as were wearing jeans to work. And I was going crazy - seriously, and rather frighteningly...I needed some escape. But in the beginning it was all matching suits and heels. The only way wearing heels was possible in Cubicle World was that I didn't stand much. I basically came in, flipped on my computer and STAYED there with occasional bathroom breaks or runs to my boss's office to print off HIS e-mails. I was the poster child for a sedentary life.

The next year, I went into teaching. The heels came off after that first day. And I've been wearing flats every since. (Indeed, now I have to wear flat orthopedic shoes. Gah.) Why? Well, I'm on my feet all day with occasional half-hour breaks for my free, my study and lunch. But more or less I've joined that group of world-champion standers (and bladder controllers, but that's another story....;).

I can guarantee you, my new job is far more rewarding than my old. In fact, the comparison isn't fair whatsoever. My old job offered no rewards except perhaps a need for a slightly improved padded cell. My new job offers life. (Hmmm, spiritual application there, too? =)

But I was thinking, then, about why women feel compelled within the "workforce" to wear high heels, while those women who are actually doing something wear far more sensible flats. Really, I thought, those women in heels are putting themselves upon a rather fragile pedestal, it's a shoe born of desperation, leverage born of Aphrodite masquerading as Athena. Whereas the flat is sensible, agile, able to leap obstacles in a single bound, giving of comfort and stability. It doesn't grasp at success, it simply stomps up to what it needs. The heels mutilates the foot out of all reason, it offers a false height, it does not liberate but makes one's being tottery. The flat grounds one, becomes invisible in its support.

Me? I'm a flat. (In fact, if I had my druthers, I'd be a Berkenstock, but that the heel supports look really funny in them.) Break off my heels, please! If I'm ever deserving of a pedestal, I'd rather not run the risk of falling off!

Mood: Need to finish that bit about women priests, and grade some more papers, and write part two of Aiden, and reassemble my closet, and....
Music: Chieftans 8
What Made My Day: Driving with Mom to pick up my car - loverly, placid conversation
What Ruined My Day: Not being able to get to sleep easily last night, and then waking up to horrible dreams that I had to convince myself didn't happen. I hate those.
What Will Make My Tomorrow: I get to present to the creative writing class some tips on getting published! Woo-hoo! :D:D:D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home