The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year, New Not-Quite Resolutions

I won't say full resolutions, because like most everyone else in the world, I'm awful at them. But some possible goals:

  • Get better at communicating. Esp. with friends not in MA! (If you are one of said friends, mea culpe!)

  • Work more on Snow Queen. Actually write down the music. (If all goes well, I'd actually like to submit it Fall 2008 semester for this new works contest at Emerson. Who knows if it'll win, but it's a deadline.)

  • Finish Tamerin and Isllel. And get a publisher for it.

  • But most importantly, I hope to really, really, really be faithful to saying my Magnificat morning (and sometimes evening) prayers each day. I'd like to find a community of Catholic young adults out here who are not a ministry but a community. I'd like to grow closer to Christ, and to learn how to do so in a secular environment. I hope, too, to be better (or braver) at discerning my vocation to the consecrated life.

    Anywho...we'll see! God's always funny, isn't He, about where He sends us in such a brief time from here to there. Last year at this time, I had no idea that a date had been set which would be the last I would ever step foot in HCH (a date, that is, that was not the one I had thought it would be). Cardinal Newman once reflected that once a year we pass through the day which will become the anniversary of our death. This is not meant to be morbid, but rather to be a reminder of our mortality and why we are here and what we are meant to do here and to really embrace the time we are given and not to squander it.

    Which, ironically, leads me to another not-quite resolution I hope for, which is to know how to better relax and not fill time (nor to waste it) but rather to savour it. We'll see.

    Happy and blessed New Year!

    Mood: Reflective
    Mood: Appropriately, "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap off of my Romeo and Juliet mix
    Thought: It was snowing today - the clumpy, snowball-throwy sort of snow. Quite lovely and a good sign, I think (or one that I will claim, anyway) of what God intends for this New Year?
    Thought Redux: So Father Jonathan gave this wonderful homily on Sunday that reminded me about offering suffering up. And it was wonderful, and much needed, to be reminded that suffering is not nothing, nor to be avoided or cursed or depressive, but rather is an opportunity to win salvation for we below and to unite ourselves more closely to Christ. It is a moment of possible grace, and I'm only ashamed at how much I did not think to offer it up this past year when there was so much. I hope, I pray, that this year I remember better to unite my sufferings with Christ on the cross. Oh, but the memory is a fickle thing!

  • 2 Comments:

    Blogger AnnieColleen said...

    Mea culpa back atcha. (It's been all I can do to keep up with the sister who's in my state...)

    10:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sheesh...Mother Goose was not supposed to be on there. Gotta love Blogger...

    -Annie

    10:20 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home