The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Drip, drip, drop, little April Showers

What might have ruined my day:

* I woke up late (what else) and so got to school just as my students got in, which made me feel awful stupid. Fortunately, the teacher with the exams came in a minute after so I looked competent! (Hoopla!) Started with English which is great because it's all essay so near impossible to cheat. (Pain to grade, though. Bless those teachers!)

* The discipline problem I had I let off easy based on the fact that all three deny the charge. I highly doubt the issue still, but since I can't guarantee hard evidence in the case, I couldn't do more than slap their metaphorical wrists. Gah. We'll see. I can at least hold them to a higher standard now, and shall do so.

* We had to rush through rehearsal since several students had to leave uberearly, but fortunately we got through everything at least once. Great. And with nearly all the actors there! And can we say that my take on the last scene of Act IV is so cool and groundbreaking - nyah! Still the prettiest. Maybe. If it works and makes sense. Well, it can't be any worse than the Mirimax abomination.

* When I came home, the pipes had sprung a leak that had started to flood into my room. Thankfully Mom's spider-senses told her that the sounds of the house were off so she caught it pretty early on, but consequently I came home to Peter mopping my room and the need to pick up from there.

* My paycheck wasn't ready today. Hopefully it will be ready for tomorrow so I can give $200 to Mum for bills and $200 to Mum again for the plumber. And I'll need another $230 for wood for MSND platforms. Which means it's a good thing the next payday is the 30th!

What Made My Day Enormously:

* Nearly finishing the humungo class's exams! Hurrah for me! Hurrah for exams that only have two short answers and one essay! Hoopla! Next exam is SO using an answer sheet - that way I don't have to even flip pages. Cheat sheets for teachers. Oy.

* A rehearsal that went FABULOUSLY last night for PoP - I'm so excited for that show now! And MSND is really shaping up - it's curious to discover that so much of making Shakespeare intelligible is TONE of lines. Huh. Knowing what word to stress, how to almost "sing" the line to make it sound "normal" to our ears. Of course, MSND is one of the easier of his plays to do so with.

* Events related over at the usual bat-channel. Events which make me laugh and wonder where the cameras are. Events which necessitate the putting on of Oklahoma!

* That hot water is available to me through a shower. Ah for indoor plumbing!

* For Suz. counting us as her miracle charity! :)

C'est finis. So is it written, so it is done.

Mood: Tra-LA! I love the Spring!
Music: "People Will Say We're in Love" from Oklahoma! - so great that they left in dialogue
Thought re: today's pics: Sigh. I want to be held like that. (Although I suspect in the first it's really mostly on her strength. He's just providing leverage, she's providing the stability. And yet it looks so effortless.)
Question: Is it necessary for every musical to include at least one incredibly obnoxious song? The one "It's an Outrage! It's a Scandal!" that just came on a second before is...ugh. It's like "Jeanie's Packing Up" from Brigadoon. Hugh Jackman's version (I know it's not HIS, but...) is so good in other respects, even making me love "The Farmer and the Cowboy Must Be Friends" and "Poor Jud is Dead" which I've shuddered at before. But some songs CANNOT be redeemed. Ugh.
Thought Redux: We have heard the words, and certainly I have often applied to myself the term, "Romantic Fool." And surely, if by "romantic" we mean "ungrounded eros" fool, then indeed this is the height of folly. If, however, by "romantic" we mean the greater sense revived by Chesterton, that is the great Christian adventure of orthodoxy, the adventure of life, and more of a life lived on the terms of striving for true life, which is Heaven, or an emulation of that true life thereof, then when we add "fool" we mean not the foolishness which is sinful and destructive, but rather we shout with all the saints that "the wisdom of God seems like folly to men." Oh, foolish wisdom! Oh, romantic foolishness! I am a romantic fool. The wild, wheeling, life-inebriated reeling of this world and all her delightful vagaries intoxicates me, makes me giddy - the moreso when I can see my own tight-rope wire before me, when I hold out my arms and hope I don't topple. Aye me. (She speaks! Oh, speak again! Exeunt Juliet, bound for a better play, and to justify the "exeunt" add in a pursuing bear.)
Edited to add at 10:26 p.m.: Jetzt, mit meine keine Geschwister Frau und unser Internetleitung, ich bin wütend . Ich kann nicht unser Klavier spielen; sie hörte auf ihr Musik die ganze Zeit sie machte das Forum für kein aber ihr Herzenswunsch, für Spaß. Das ist gut, aber - immer er ist "das Internet!" Warum? Ack! Gott, eine freunde ist dringend notwendig für ihr! Und, entschuldigen mir für mein schlecht Deutsch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home