The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A passing fancy

Has somewhat seized me to direct an opera. An opera opera opera. In a furrin' lingwidge. I've been working on "Deh Vieni Non Tardar" from Act IV of The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart and have become reintrigued by the difficulty of conveying "gibberish" as story to American audiences. Particularly to non-opera-going American audiences.

The thing is, I'd really like to explode any opera I do from its constraints that serve the technique at the expense of the story. I'm not saying that I want arias belted a la modern rock operas - but I do think more true emotion and greater action and less artifice might be used in operas to make them exciting again to ye olde merrie audiences.

Something between the first and second links below. No dullness for the sake of prettiness, no weirdness for the sake of weirdness - but somewhere true and gripping and relevant inbetween. Just a passing thunk, but there one is....





Mood: Pas mal, merci
Music: La Boheme highlights! Yeah, baby, yeah!
Thought: Writing is fun. Even if I do second guess myself on scenes.
Thought encore: Oh, and this gem from Barbara Nicolosi is brilliant
Thought redux: What does it say, when this is the best (on YouTube) acted? Mrmph. This oughtn't be merely sap. She's teasing her husband! Oy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home