The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Ja, ja, ich weiss

That I just posted. I'm making up for lost time and not doing what I set down to do - which is to write, specifically (what else this week?) Thrushbeard. But I've Les Mis on ("Little Fall of Rain" now) and I'm definitely in a more Arianja-y mood, except that I look at those monster books and say, "AhHAHAHHAH...right. No way am I writing in a monster book tonight! Not when I've got things with deadlines a-comin' up!" But then that little part of me says, "Yeah...but you like that world. You've neglected that world. And most importantly: you want to know what happens next." (Who's been reading Goldman? ;P)

So, what shall I do? I'm tempted to simply print out The Sable Valentine (a copy for my own records) and perhaps work on that. Even a little. Granted, the best bits are the newspaper clippings - the Reverended press makes me giggle the most, it's so over-the-top silly - and I'm feeling that really the whole thing needs to be the equivalent of a graphic novel to be done right.

OK - I'm a little hesitant to write here because of the forum however...well, I shall write in code. Tuesday, Emily, Tuesday. And one day...one day. Of course, the thought of hours upon hours, technically unstructured is itself quite daunting, and even more nervewracking is the fear that I'll never have hours upon hours because I know what theatre life is like. But, honestly, I'm not sure how long the current situation can/will/should last. It's not a bad situation - it meets survival needs barely - it's a good thing and I enjoy it (although anticipation to an event is never pleasurable) - but it is not, I think, lifelong. Or at least, lifelong in this particular forum (not literally but metaphysically or rather removed physically speaking and the Dowager Dutchess raises her head and shakes it at me!).

Silly, Emily. All thing work for the best. You're learning, too. And hindsight is 20/20. Better to do, not to fret in advance. Do or do not?

And on that suitably gnomish sentiment, I remain:

Mood: Confuzzled
Music: Suitably, once again, "It's a World Where the Dogs Eat the Dogs" from Les Mis
Thought: Handwriting, peut-etre?
Quick Randominity:

  • Garden State didn't do it for me as a whole. It was a hymn to mediocrity. Many amusing parts, good performances, some lovely writing, a few good visuals (most of them are spoiled in the excellent trailer), but ultimately a hymn to mediocrity. And I can't get behind that, emotionally. And then a Hollywood ending on an indie film. Urg?

  • LOTR exhibit at the Boston Museum of Science was lovely. Not large enough and very crowded, but lovely. I wanted to simply stay and stare at each bit of embroidery and embossing and gold leafing on the various weapons and belts and costumes. Ah ca - for a time when we knew that Time was gift to be used, not one to be spent as hastily as possible. Ah ca for true individuality. Ah ca for beauty even in the ordinary. Ah ca for goodness. (Beats head disconsolately upon the plastic keyboard.)

  • Boston itself lovely. Hadn't walked about for a long time. Good to walk, even if legs hurt by end. Alas and alack, Spielberg (sp?) was at Tanglewood - but we listened to it on 102.5 and caught "The Blue Danube" live on the Common. However, I am not a city person. As Jules put it: you felt clausterphobic after a while. I found myself wanting to take longer and longer steps just to push people out of my way, to gain a little space.

  • Thought: I'm running Norton Antivirus on my computer and it says there are so many this or thats that need to be fixed, you press a button and presto the screen pops up to say, we fixed it! But...how do we know? We take so much for granted except, perhaps, obvious things such as how nature works. Oh! The humanity! (Hmmm, this is a central question of TSV, iddn't it?)

  • Yeah. Who's already thinking again of how to block Les Mis...were I to do it...ever...in the future...maybe...we'll see...tempting tempting...!

  • Und now ve tanz!

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home