The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Monday, February 23, 2004

Making Up For Past Silences

Blogging abhors a vacuum?

I realize that I have gotten out of the habit of writing - certainly of writing well, as these past four months have sadly attested. However, having just looked at the Bearskin Tango (see left) again for lack of anything else to do (that's not entirely true - but I'm working hard at doing nothing important so that I can do all I need to do starting tomorrow), I realized that I have been speaking in action, in blocking and not really in speech. It's a curious thing.

And see how pitifully I write now! In spurts and stops like one too long mum who finds her voice is scratchy and her vocabulary shrunken. I remember The Book of Atrix Wolfe, wherein one of the main characters has never encountered written words before and wonders what they are. She tries to taste them. I am that girl.

I wrote three songs a week ago, during Hell Week (which feels like Hell Month). Fairly good, I think. Requiring work. The least developed is Evanescency (to me - Jules says it sounds more like Goo-Goo Dolls [what a name!]): "Ready made personality (2x)/If you don't know who you are/You can choose who you will be/With our ready made personalities." (Prompted by the pondering of those on-line quizzy things.) The next is a bit more flexible with no real verses as of yet, but it goes something like this, "Oh I had a lot of tapes/And so I fed them to my camel/Since I didn't need my VHS anymore/And what did I discover/But my camel is a film-projector! [Refrain] My camel is a film-projector (2x)/He isn't fancy/And won't play DVD's [or insert silly couplet here]/For my camel is a film-projector!" The last I'm particularly proud of. It's in 3/4 time, very "good old boys-ish."

I met a lemming crossing the road
I asked where he was going to.
He said, "My friend, come and carry the load -
I don't know where I'm going, but you can come too."

Oh lemmings, lemmings, lemmings!
I'll follow anywhere!
I don't care where we're going to,
So long as we both care.

We laughed and we talked,
We talked and we smiled.
We walked on for hours,
We walked on for miles.
Oh we were both lost,
Although we both felt found
As we rushed o'er the cliff
Heading straight for the ground.

Oh lemmings, lemmings, lemmings!
I'll follow anywhere!
We don't care where we're going to
So long as we go there!

There's more but that's all I have solidified at the moment. And the Oklahoma! ballet music is on and my bed must be made and meeting Jules at six to buy Passion tickets and get her job applications and it was good to stop today. May I be able to sleep tonight without interference from phlegmy coughing (ugh) or my overactive imagination (not about phlegm - quite the opposite)!

Mood: Dressed.
Music: Oklahoma! Dream Sequence, about to come to the part when Hugh Jackman comes in - le sigh!
Thought: The beauty of theatre is that it shows the world what CAN be.
Dreams: Are bizarre things. I was watching (what else?) Pirates a few nights ago and realized that the part in "Cat-like Tread" when they do the boxstep all together whilst the police are in the background...I had dreamt years ago. I've done this once before with this one section of Salome. Odd, odd, odd. Otherwise, I had the requisite week of dreaming nothing but Pirates - the music, the blocking, at one point the blank stage as it ran through the light cues - and then on opening night I dreamt of clocks running out of time - and then this morning I'm dreaming something...about wolves? Yes, and cemetaries, and Snow White, and being a mute and trying to save myself from these guys who kept trying to drag me into the woods and convince everyone else they had a right to kill me.... And yet, the thing was, that I wasn't really scared, more interested in how in the world the story was going to end and how I'd be rescued (well, there was a tad of a romantic sub-plot going on with the rescue mission). Because a rescue mission was on the way - I knew that. At one point we ended up in this old Victorian house, rather like Aunt Marie's old home, but the furniture was all covered in white dusters. Haveshamy. And now I'm frustrated - it was a good story! Alas, I didn't finish it. Poot. And while clocks running out of time and living in the world of Pirates sleeping or awake doesn't require a genius to figure out, I am wondering how I managed to squish together Snow White and several other fairy tales including a reference to a part of Hook.... Makes one think of Mrs. Darling rummaging through her children's minds just after they slip off to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home