The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Monday, December 29, 2003

Walk through my door

I am substantially stuck for the first time this vacation for what to write. My brain has gone *ppppft.* Not helping this is the stumbling upon a journal wherein my surname (in regards to myself) is mentioned unfavorably and then ambigiously--the first by one who presumably knows me and yet whom I don't know whatsoever. What is that about eavesdroppers, whether they be electronic or not, receiving precisely what they deserve? Regardless, the reading of the unfavorable opinion of myself, of what I do, and of what I believe, was...surprising to say the least (particularly even more so since I do not know the speaker). I think I'll take my sister's perennial advice and stop reading reviews, as it were! *sigh*

In other news, I'm nearly done with The Da Vinci Code. I've had a faboo time writing all over its margins, refuting it--but alas more frequently yawning at it. At the risk of perpetrating the very thing that made me saddened, I must admit that this book is VERY badly written, particularly in its repetitiveness again in which it repeats things redundantly...in case the obtuse reader can't recall what happened two pages ago. Give me Terry Pratchett please! Ah well.

Saw Peter Pan last night. Despite some flaws and reworkings of the plot, I enjoyed it immensely. It was rather like watching a moving Maxwell Parrish picture--GORGEOUS lighting. It ought to win an Oscar for lighting at least, if not for effects as well: Tink was tres impressive, and Pan's shadow was better than I'd ever imagined it. Jason Isaacs needs to wear wigs and 17th century garb more often (most men do). :) Other viewings have included Down With Love in which it is reaffirmed that Ewan MacGregor was meant to be a darkie, and the...aherm...tail end of Babe which brought me to sniffles. I've been using Mom's car lately which is currently playing Julie's "Concerning Hobbits" Tape. On it is the hobbit suite by the guy who composed an LOTR symphony--my copy of which broke (dunno why it broke, it simply decided to crack in half one day)--and which, when listening to it, makes me whimper, "Oooooh-ho! Saaaaaaaaaaam!"

Which brings me to Krissy-tina's phone call last night. Merveilleux! (Sp?) It was superloverly to chat until a ridiculous midnight with her about this, that and the other. She teased me to no end about fearing to go nuts with my hair, she the combat-booted one. She is quite right. But whilst comparing...aherm...Regency notes, as it were, she started laughing at me, saying as though in my voice, "Why, I could never even consider marriage to a man who was not bent upon improving himself!" LOL! So true, and so well put. I must put that in a novel somewhere. I'm wondering if I can get Giselle to say it somewhere--I think I may be able to. And somewhere, as K pointed out, I must also put in the whole scene that happened at Sh.'s wedding rehearsal reception when I was exonerated from dating EE by the very woman who has more or less adopted him. Such validations happen infrequently in real life.

But here's a question: right, so in the heavenly scheme, we ARE living a part of the great story so, ought we be truly surprised if "story moments" happen in real life? And after all, isn't art in some senses a mirror of life?

I'd like to be more M&My. Alas, oranges et al are not around at the moment. Which is good because I need to keep writing this dumb novel. Actually, not dumb at all. I'm really enjoying it--except of course when it screeches to a halt. Putting my years on the Cardinal to good use, writing up all sorts of articles for the pseudo-newspaper. I've promised it to Arx this week, and am confident that I'll be able to get it off by Wed. at the latest--presuming the printers have ceased striking, that is. And then, alas, I must do my other jobs: blocking sheets, more blocking sheets, Rumplestilkskin-worthy-heaps of paperwork and grading and lesson plans. I know it's horrible, but I'd forgotten how much I really enjoy waking up each day, getting breakfast, making small talk, and then spending the majority of the day before my screen writing, with occasional stints upstairs, out on errands, and my daily constitutional. I shall especially miss my daily consitutional. My time is going to be so tightly planned for the next three months, I'll be surprised if I remember to breathe. This is not conducive to living. And of course I want to live as soon as my dreams of being ridiculously overworked are realized. I am linty.

And this has been an utter waste of space. But y'know what--not all thoughts are great, and were I not attempting to jump-start my writing juices I'd be obsessively playing Free Cell in an even MORE futile attempt to jump-start myself. I'm up to 20 wins in a row already. Far better to write drivel just to get my body back in the habit of typing away than upping my score by another 20 consecutive wins. Ah the dilemma! (Di-lem-ma. DEE-lem-maaaaaugh.)

Off I go! Just and Giselle, here I come! Gonna make it...gonna make it....

Mood: *thunk thunk thunk*
Music: Gaelic Storm, Tree - we need something cheerful, precious. Too many baroque symphonies can drive us mad!
Thought: Praise God for folk coming over Wed. & Fri. - sigh PoP meeting tomorrow night - sigh even more that freedom is cut short in six more days. And Em, honestly babe, not everyone's going to like you. You don't like everyone. Silly rabbit!
Yes please!: See the picture over yonder. Sigh. Robin Hood! Errol Flynn! Now that's a kiss! None of this sloppy stuff that's on TV these days. Oh, and I want her wardrobe. It was so sad when Jules and I went to see Peter Pan, we kept gripping each other every time we saw another one of Mrs. Darling's (aka Jane Fairfax!) gowns. Yes Please!
What Made My Day: My ever-wunderschoene Julie-San! WHEEEEEEEE! Oh, that and taking a walk with Mumsy this afternoon.
What Ruined My Day: Me. But not by a lot.
The Purpose and Meaning of Microsoft Excel Spread Sheets: To Make CALENDARS For My Novels! Glory glory halleluja! Yes, precious, thank God we can know what day so and so sent a letter and when such and so received it and whether they crossed paths and precisely in what order everything happened...so we can PLAY with it and MESS with READERS MINDS!!! Bwahahahahhahahahah! Oh, and we've got to seriously cut back on the accent marks over letters.
What I Ought To Do At Some Point: Reread all my JA stuff to get a "feel" again for that time period. Giselle is so Regency. Poor thing. I quite feel for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home