The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Return of Randominity

  • Finished editing the Our Town scene from Seven Ages. It makes me (stop laughing) want to direct Our Town in its entirety. Meaghan is simply sooooo luminous. Brava!

  • ETA: Two short clips, the last from Seven Ages. "Camp Grenada" and "Our Town" (selections). Enjoy!





  • Two days. What the shreck.

  • My cousin Amy has very good advice. When going somewhere new, there will be one totally awful moment and you'll suffer through it, and then it will be over and everything will proceed as normal. Of course, Terry Pratchett also has some commentary into the human condition, when he points out that, generally, what people truly want is "olds," not "news." They want to know that tomorrow will be pretty much like today. Regardless, time is inexorable and moves one on whether one wants to go or not.

  • I am considering what I know to be true: that when God closes a door, He opens a palace - and this I know to be true. But it doesn't stop me from glimpsing through the keyhole and believing that the limited and distorted image I have is the whole of everything. This perception is not so. I must remember this. It's as though humans have the wrong prescription lenses given to them - funhouse mirrors for glasses - and it's so easy to believe that perception is reality. Thank God that truth is greater and more real and more wonderful and unexpected. So, intellectually, I remember that my through-the-keyhole image is fundamentally skewed. And that time, that great usher, will lead me will-me-nil-me to His next destination.

  • I've come to the place of saying to those who are foolish enough to ask: "No. I am not doing well." But I do it with a diplomatic handshake and a bright smile which confuses folk, as much as the sentiment itself. Once again, I thank God for time.

  • And for the end of that court case which ended well for the party for whom I ended up not needing to testify for after all. (And if that isn't enough to bring me up on counts of torturous grammar, I don't know what is!) I hope he and his whole family do well! It makes me ill to think of how such specious accusations can nearly ruin a man's life. Boooo stupid children of evil. Yay to wise judges. And yay to the American law which puts, rightly, the burden of proof upon the accuser (such as should have been observed in another debacle we all know and hate).

  • I first heard this rule in Mr. Dreitlein's honors biology class which, if it was too academically daunting for me as a mousy high school freshman (I got B's - it's like failing for me), has nevertheless proven a lasting source of non-scientific wisdom. Mr. Dreitlein included humour, poetry, history lessons, and the basics of rhetoric and philosophy into his classes, for which I will be forever grateful. God bless Mr. Dreitlein (and his "Greek godlike body" - oh, delightful self-depreciation!), wherever he is now.

  • It is time to leave, though. And all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

    Mood: Piano-play-y.
    Music: The silly but very soothing "The Word of Your Body" from Spring Awakening which, however, BEGS for harmony. Which I give it. Even despite the lyrics.
    Thought: "Closing time....Time to go to those places you will be from."

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home