The sporadic ramblings of Emily C. A. Snyder - devoted to God, theatre, writing, and much randominity.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Host: "Hamlet to Hamilton: Exploring Verse Drama" | Founder: TURN TO FLESH PRODUCTIONS | Author: "Cupid and Psyche" "Nachtsturm Castle" & Others | Caitlin O'Sullivan in "The Ghost Ship" (Boston Metaphysical Society)

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Apres la anniversaire

Je dort.



Sleepy, sleepy day. Had music lesson, wandered over to Borders, picked up copies of Sorcery and Cecelia (but they didn't have The Grand Tour or A Scholar of Magics - poot!), as well as Maurice and His Educated Rodents (or something like, by Pratchett, currently commandeered by Dad), and two Georgette Heyers, The Black Moth and something "Wig"...Wig and Patches? Alas, they did not have The Grand Sophie. Forwent Monstrous Regiment for a day when I'm desperate for a new book. Eyed Lars Walker's latest - looks super good - will purchase with next check, one thinks. Current funds can only go so far. But it's good to have new books - and one that has been too long out of print!

Ah! My dearest Sorcery and Cecelia! My only sorrow is that I don't get the same jolt of "whuh/fwah/thwack"-ishness when the Marquis proposes to Kate as I did that first time I read it. Curious, that. I still get a marvellously warm jolt when I read a certain dogeared page in Illusion, when I read the "good parts" version of Goblin Moon and The Gnome's Engine or two certain scenes in Magician's Ward. So why not S&C? No fair! Hrumph.

I've been doing some background work today on Arianja and how it came to be - esp. who colonized what areas of the world when. So doing, I came up with another novel about how the original pagan Aztecesque (it was too good a word to be passed up!) Jing-Jangese fought the westernmost people who then became something of a piratical nation until they settled Vetyl and Wharl and started going about enslaving other folk - you know. Anywho, it all had to do with hostages and love and rescues and it could probably become something. Took up fourteen bullet points! I have a better timeline idea of Gaetain Empire/Arianja Penal Colony - now I just have to figure out the Alten/G. Emp./12 Kingdom timeline - mostly because Agnes Bakersdaughter said that she came from there (Alten). But then, that would make sense, because the 12 Kingdoms aren't invaded by the Second Khlaov Empire until several centuries after Niamh. *sigh* Silly, silly Coliseum of Gates! Mucking up things and complicating them! 'Tis fun, though.

Only, some days I worry that I won't have all the time I need to write out these stories. I suppose, though, that every author goes to his grave with at least one more story that he never gets to complete here on this earth. Which begs the question whether stories are told in Heaven. In one sense, I think they must be, because I'd love to know the stories of other people in other times, but in another, they generally involve someone in the stories doing distinctly non-Heavenly things and nothing sinful can exist in Heaven. But then, the knowledge of sin is not sin - merely knowledge. But then again, stories are given to us to help us aim for perfection: are they therefore unnecessary in perfection? I've no idea. I can only tap God on the shoulder and tug at His celestial hem and ask Him to tell me a good story! So there! Hrumph!

I am promised to write more about the separation of church and state. I still cannot do the subject justice. Because in one sense, I do long for a state of being wherein we are all ruled by moral laws. However, in a far more practical sense, such a governance will simply never exist on earth. My difficulty therefore lies in "to what degree are Church and State meant to coincide." Specifically, I take umbridge with those who would use "separation of Church and State" to destroy either Church or State - we get into difficulty when bishops, etc., are also politicians, rather than mentors to politicans. But in the same light, we get into trouble when the state tries to suppress religion altogether. In the West, esp. in America, I don't think we'd be able to see our way to a Theocracy - such as we see in Eastern countries - but I do think that we're moving more towards an a-theocracy, or an anti-theocracy, with secularism being the new religion that dominates all our politician's actions. My difficulty is in the current lack of balance. But even here I'm not doing the subject justice. I'll attempt to address it more when my brain isn't mush. (Ha ha.)

God bless Renee and Will, who are now some five hours married! God bless and keep them! And bless Jules, too, who is at last freed from all the insanity leading up to said wedding what with making the wedding dress and all sorts of other truncated wedding preparations - that and being in the middle of what she's in the middle of. I boggle that in the middle of everything she made me a silver bracelet! I'm wearing it now and I love it. Granted, I'm still getting used to the weight - but I love it. *singing* Oh, Julie is my hero, my hero, my hero! Oh Julie is my hero, and she is just great!

Speaking of heroics, so apparently Steubie-U seriously put a crimp in Kerry's campaigning. Hurrah! And duh. I mean, it really doesn't take more than two seconds worth of googling to discover that Steubenville, while perhaps "traditionally democratic," is centered around FUS which is "way traditionally Catholic." What were his campaign managers thinking - having him have a rally while school's in session. Duh. One almost wonders if the Kerry-folk aren't trying to sabotage his campaign. Which is fine by me, personally. Oh, Heavens - I wish we had STATESMEN! Not all these schemers and self-idolaters running about.

B-day yesterday. Loverly dinner with family. Purtiful presents - esp. the box Peter got me and the bracelet Jules made and Peter's card and Jules card and parental units got me a clothes rack (much needed) and wonderful Terry came over and gave me a substantially largish bottle of Pinot Grigio which is currently sitting next to me still corked. Will open later on this week and sip whilst feeling Parisian over writing. I can't remember if I've tried Pinot Grigio - I tend to stick to White Zin, when I do - but it is white and that is all we ask for, cherie! Ah, and saw Goodbye, Lenin! today as a sort of tag to my b-day. Interesting - not as hysterical as I would have hoped, but some very touching parts. It used a lot of music from Amelie, which I thought odd. Watched with parental units - have remembered why I watch things downstairs that I'm curious in watching - am simply not cut out to view things for the first time with other folk. I've vastly improved since we first bought A Little Mermaid oh years ago, on VHS, but there's a part inside me that's still screaming, SHUT UP! I'm watching a MOVIE! So, to conclude this account of l'anniversaire, I will say that pork chops, blooming onions, and coconut shrimp are wonderful, as is Mom's chocolate frosting. And it is good to be loved by one's family, even if and especially if one is a total idiot!

Curious, that for having a pleasant day, I've been simply dragging myself around! I feel as though I've no energy, which is bothersome. Yet, regard, petite chou! Music lesson, Borders books and backstory writing, more backstory writing, reading first three chapters of S&C, more writing, visiting with Mrs. Brown and discussing cons for half and hour, more writing, watching Goodbye, Lenin!, more writing, and now blogging. Pas mal! Oh, but I do identify with Pratchett's listing of how he spends a day writing...by not writing! Aie! A common affliction. Regard, Emily - alles gut. (To mix our languages, once again!)

So I shall leave me, and perhaps write a bit more about the world or perhaps be "sworded" a few more times in Trogdor or perhaps do the Veggie Pile-Up, or perhaps read S&C or perhaps betake myself to bed. Which would be the most reasonable thing. Which is why I probably won't follow my own advice for another half-hour. Which is why I'll be cursing myself in the morning. Gute nacht, meine kinder! Schlaft, Emily - schlaft!

Mood: Floaty-sleepiness
Music: Amelie because accordians and pianos are good
Thought: Kein.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home